Friday, January 14, 2011

The Hospitality Continues

I know that Heather has previously written a post about the unbelievable hospitality we have witnessed during our travels but I simply cannot stop thinking about how much these people are willing to provide for us - especially when they have so little for themselves. It is truly a sight to behold and it has brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.

Our hosts in every part of our trip, from the pastors from the Church of South India in Kerala to the administration of the school and orphanage at Family Village Farm, have served as our shepards and providers - offering us food, shelter and kindness far and above the call of duty.  But what strikes me even more is the hospitality we have seen from complete strangers.  Never before have I been cared for in this manner.  From the kind stranger on the train who helped me and Sean feel more comfortable and safe (we were separated from our group by 9 train cars) to the local villagers offering us a meal in their home on a sacred Hindu holiday that is taking place this weekend - the hospitality is like nothing I have ever experienced before.

Never before have I witnessed the message of Jesus - hospitality - in such a pure, genuine way.  I am humbled, grateful and inspired in equal measure.  My prayer today is that upon my return to the US I can find ways and opportunities to provide such hospitality to friends, neighbors and even strangers within our community.  I have been blessed with extraordinary gifts in my life - many more tangible resources than anyone I have met during this trip.  I hope that I can open my heart in the way that many hearts have been opened here for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment