Saturday, January 8, 2011

Children in God's Kingdom

Another day has left me thinking - we visited a school today - an all girl's school managed by the Church of South India. At the morning assembly there were Christian, Hindu, and Muslim girls side-by-side.

It was as if we were rock stars. The girls seemed so excited to see us. Afterward, a bunch of them swarmed around us, asking our names. Their amazement was striking. The girls were elementary and middle school age. Then we met the principal of the older girls' section of the school, like our high school, and spoke with her. She then took us around to the various classrooms to meet with the classes. The girls, around ages 14-18 we so amazed to see us! Their eyes lit up.

Jesus' words from Luke 18:17 came to mind during all of this: "whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it." Contrasted to the reactions that adults had when meeting us (Peter spoke briefly to a marriage counseling class), children were much more impressed, in general. This observation isn't really about us, however, as I don't think we're really that impressive. One could say the adults had it right. They probably have encountered more white people than the children had, and may also be more aware of differences due to our privileged place as Americans within the world order (I'm not sure). We had the same experience boating today, when the children from the shores were consistently so excited to see us.

But the sense of wonder is what amazed me. It's not specifically about the way that Indian children greet this little group from Plymouth Church but about the way that all of us greet the world. And being here has so reminded me that I don't usually feel like a little child - wondered, amazed, open - not limited by the boundaries of what the world says is "possible" or what "makes sense" or "works." But I do feel that way here in India. And it is so wonderful. It seems that that's exactly what Jesus was talking about. My experience tells me he was right. I feel closest to God's Spirit and to the Kingdom here, when I feel like a child, when everything in the world is new and beautiful and the possibilities are limitless. When we can end poverty, hunger, sickness, disease, hatred. Even though conventional, "adult" wisdom says otherwise.

I've been so impressed with the Church of South India. I hope that when I come home, I might be able to remain open, like a child, to God's work in Lawrence, Kansas around the world. I feel renewed already by this beautiful place in the world called India.

Sean Weston

No comments:

Post a Comment